Monday, November 14, 2011

2 mois.

I'm in France. How weird is that?!

I was walking around town this evening, around 18:00, it was already dark. The walk was normal, I knew the street I was on, I knew the next right would take me to Sainte-Anne and the left to the park. I was used to it. Or so I thought, as I was walking to the fork of the road preparing to take the right to my bus at Ste Anne, I looked up. There, right before my eyes, was a huge French flag being illuminated by spotlights. It stood out from the dark sky behind it, waving proudly in the French wind. I have yet to have the awe-ing moment or realisation that I'm studying in France. But there are moments, like this, that suddenly come and scream in my ear--TU ES EN FRANCE, TU PARLES LE FRANCAIS, TU CONNAIS LA VILLE, TU AS DES AMIS FRANCAIS , ET TU ES CONTENTE! I just stopped and stood in the middle of the cobblestone rue, staring at the flag with a big grin on my face--I'm in France, I speak French, I know the town, I have French friends and I am happy.

I find myself more often talking to my friends in French, it doesn't really bother me when we switch back and forth between languages. En fait, je remarque à peine. I'm beginning to realise that I can understand what people are saying to me without really concentrating. I just understand them.

It has been two months. It doesn't feel like it at all... I've become so used to the life here, the days are just flying by. I feel like I just arrived, but more than 50 days have already passed. If it keeps continuing like this, tomorrow will be the 31 of May and I will be packing my bags and heading home.

I'm taking it all in, one day at a time.

xx

4 comments:

  1. Maggie - thoroughly enjoyed reading through your posts! Wow - you are having an interesting time in Europe - know Jeanne and Patrick are proud of you! Connie Van Loon (Kristi's mom)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you get to experience this. Take it all in, and cherish it!

    Enjoy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you know the words to the French anthem yet?
    -Dad

    ReplyDelete

Alpine Calamity

Preface: I found this in an email. I wrote this for an English course in high school. I don't remember the prompt. It is the story of ...