Sunday, October 30, 2011

Comment on dit frites en anglais?



We are on our toussaints vacation right now, it lasts about two weeks. The first half of the vacation SYA took us to tour Loire Valley and all it's magical chateaus. It's hard to believe that it's been so long since I arrived. I remember sitting in my apartment in DC counting down the days until France, and now it seems that the days are counting to the end. Obviously we still have 7 months left, but almost 2 months have past. I feel like I've only just arrived. I hate that the time goes by so fast.



Back to the vacation. We took a long bus ride to tour chateau after chateau. After this well-educated vacation, I have come to the conclusion that I need a chateau. Here are some pictures of our fun adventures:






For each of these trips we stay at an Ibis, which is basically the French equivalent of a Holiday
Inn. My friend Crispin told me that he was going to start watching a movie with his roomie, I wanted to join. So, I went to his room and went to collapse on the bed with a graceful leap.Graceful, it was not. I missed the center of the bed entirely and unfortunately landed only on the beam. It snapped. I was laying on the floor with splinters in my self-esteem laughing. How is it that I break a bed?? Needless to say, the profs were having difficulty figuring out this anomaly as well. The beds are really tiny and cheap and another student had already broken one too. The profs were already very angry because the other students were begin very loud. So, me telling them of my accident did not help their attitudes. The sad thing was that before my
mishap, I was sitting quietly in my room reading.

Enough of that, I'm in Amsterdam now!!! My host sister goes to school here and my family wanted to take me to see it! My host family left Saturday before my school trip, so I had to spend a couple nigths with my friends because I didn't want to stay home alone. I went on the school trip and when we got back on Wednesday, I stayed at my Math prof's house. Thursday morning I got up super early to catch my train to Paris! I arrived there just in time. I had to run a grab a taxi because my train to Amsterdam was at a completely different station. I got in a
taxis, and I was really tempted to tell him to take the scenic tour through Paris, so I could atleast soak up some of it. But I didn't need to. The train station was rigth in the heart of Paris
and when we pulled out of the parking garage, the Eiffel Tower was right in front of me. My heart literally skipped a beat. The sad thing is, I could have cried. This city has such an impact on me. I really wouldn't have minded if I missed my train an had to stay in Paris. The taxis ride was amazing. I drove through so many little Parisian streets and witnessed the life of the people
who inhabit that amazing city. It was amazing. When we arrived at the next train station, I paid my driver and hopped on the train to Amsterdam. It was a long ride, but I finally made it! And the apartment that my host family rented is beautiful!!

The cool thing is that everyone in Amsterdam speak English, so the first thing I had to do for my host family was ordered them some French Fries because they didn't know what to say. It was really fun.. I feel so cool being able to understand two different languages!!

I'll post again soon!

xx

1 comment:

Alpine Calamity

Preface: I found this in an email. I wrote this for an English course in high school. I don't remember the prompt. It is the story of ...