Wednesday, October 5, 2011

J'adore Ma Famille d'Accueil.



I really cannot explain how much I love my host family. Ils sont très amusant et incroyable. They are just so understanding. We will be at the dinner table and I am stumbling trying to speak decently (I'm sure I sound like Tarzan though: "Me. Eat. Now." "You.No.Like?"), but they understand easily and help me say it right. C'est bizarre parce que I am more comfortable speaking French with them than I am with my other friends who are on the same level as me. I'm not embarrassed to jump into a conversation and fall on my face trying to explain difficult things. Everynight, without fail, I go downstairs and sit at the table in the kitchen and do my homework while my host dad cooks, and I tell him about my day and he helps me with my French homework and I help him peel potatoes or carrots. It's really fun, it's my favourite time of the day. And when Valerie comes down to eat we will talk for hours! It really is the best.

Anyways, I just had to say a quick something about them. They are truly amazing.

Also, I had a very exciting experience talking to a random stranger. I was walking down the ally that my school is on and this woman was walking towards me and she asked "est-ce que tu habites ici?" and I immediately understood and without even thinking answered "Oh, non, je vais à l'école", she mumbled something about needing a toilet and walked away. I know it doesn't sound that impressive because it was such a petite conversation....but je ne pensais pas en anglais. I understood her French, I didn't do any translating an when I answered I didn't think about conjugation or word placement.... I just said it.

I have noticed that I understand French better when I'm not trying to translate everything, I just have to learn the words. For example, when someone says "je pars" I don't think in my head "(Je=I) + (pars=partir=to leave) = I am leaving" I simply think of the action of leaving like I do in English. It's difficult to explain, but easiest way to say it is I am beginning to really comprehend the language.

I'm sorry, I've been so bust lately I haven't been able to post. I'm going to post about the first school trip this weekend.

xx

PS Remember the clock I bought? Well, I was messing with it today and it does, in fact, have an alarm! So, it wasn't a waste of money!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Alpine Calamity

Preface: I found this in an email. I wrote this for an English course in high school. I don't remember the prompt. It is the story of ...