Monday, September 11, 2017

For at least I know I'm free

16 years ago, I was 6 years old. I was in the first grade having a normal day when the phone rang.

Growing up, every time the phone rang in the classroom, I always prayed that it was my parents surprising me by picking me up early. When the teacher called my name saying my mom was here, I was ecstatic. I don't remember much about that day, just tidbits here and there. I remember walking down the halls of my school holding my mom's hand asking why I got to leave early and her response was "because it's the end of the world, and I wanted you home." I didn't quite understand what she meant, I was just happy to be going home.

When we finally got home, my parent's friend was sitting directly in front of the TV, crying. I didn't understand that either. I saw the smoke on the news, but my little mind that had only known peace and happiness didn't comprehend what was happening.

I don't remember anything else about that day. "It's the end of the world..."-for America, it certainly felt like it. Our freedom was being threatened. Our sisters and brothers lost. I didn't understand the gravity of the situation until a few years later.

9/11 is a day that has gone down in history.

Today is one of those days where every American reflects on what it means to be American.

Lately, I've struggled with my nationality. Being a traveler, claiming to be American has left a bitter taste in my mouth. Most introduction conversations go:

Stranger:"Where are you from?"
Me:"The States"
Stranger:"haha so.. [insert some joke about the new president]"
Me:*Awkward laughs* "yeah... that's the place"

There were times where I was ashamed to say I was American just because of how people react nowadays. When traveling, it's easy to pick out other Americans in a crowd. We're generally the loud ones. Pretty much anytime you can overhear a conversation due to its volume, it's Americans. I've wondered why that is... why are we so obnoxious?

And it really is freedom. The idea of freedom is embedded into our culture. Even though most of those living in the United States aren't truly free, we are more free than many other countries in the world (less free than others). The word "freedom" rings in every classroom and on every media outlet. We were founded on the idea of freedom-we still have a long way to go before we truly achieve it, but America screams freedom to people who don't have it. This sense of freedom gives us confidence which makes us loud and proud.

My parents raised me to understand freedom. They supported my every decision and tried not to hover over me. I grew up being able to do what I wanted to do and be who I wanted to be. That's the only way to grow as a human-to explore yourself and your surroundings. You can't do that when a government or parent or power of any kind is governing your every move.

We are eccentric people, Americans. We can wear what we want to wear, say what we want to say, be who we want to be and even when people judge us or try to change us, we don't have to listen to them because we know we are free. Every human is free, we are all free! Being human means free will-the freedom to choose-freedom to be free. We are being oppressed by the power hungry, but we are still free. Every. Single. One. Of. Us. Never forget you are free-wherever you are.

My passport allows me to go to virtually every corner of the Earth without question and in every corner of the Earth you'll meet an American (and probably a German).

It's interesting meeting other people and telling them I'm American... once we get past the Trump jokes they want to hear what it's actually like there. At first, I was very cynical in explaining America today. I would tell them it's not that great, people of colour are still being shot just because of their skin, there are people that still believe in slavery. Women don't have nearly as many rights as men. I get catcalled and stalked in America more than I do here, in Israel. I was negative because I'm angry. The reality of America is not reflecting the America I grew up loving.

I'm still angry at the state of the States, but even those of us who are upset cannot deny that being American (no matter your colour or creed) is a privilege. Every single American is privileged to be American and if that's not apparent with the DACA bullshit that's happening you need to take a look at the countries we are forcing these people back to or the countries we are denying refugees from.

Yes, there are injustices, yes we are far from perfect. However, the unity that this division has created is powerful and heartwarming. Look at the discussions that are happening in college classrooms and on front porches and the creativity we are using to fight the good fight. We are all in this together.

We can do this because we are free.

And that's the importance of today. Even though we were threatened and struck down- we stood up- Together. We were all united that day in love and peace.

Momento mori
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Alpine Calamity

Preface: I found this in an email. I wrote this for an English course in high school. I don't remember the prompt. It is the story of ...