Tuesday, September 12, 2017

The Israel Life-Hack

It's been approximately 5 months since I've been in Israel. I have moved into my apartment and received my course schedule for the coming semester. I have my favorite places to read, hang out, and eat. I frequently lounge on the beach and I'm thoroughly delighted to be here.

Israel is a "westernized", and, in most cases, developed country. It is one of the top 'Start-Up' countries (an Israeli start-up created WhatsApp). Tel-Aviv is a bustling, colourful, and fun city. The people are open and smart. The culture here is different in a way that I don't necessarily notice it in everyday life, but when I think about it and when I step outside of the Tel-Aviv bubble, I can really sense what makes Israel Israel.

I went to a discussion tonight called "How to Hack the Israeli Culture". During a discussion of defining Israeli culture most people said aggressive. Not aggressive as in violent, but aggressive in the sense that everyone here is working in their best interest and in the interest of those they care for and will do whatever they can to succeed.
Israelis have this philosophy of "if you want something, ask for it". I had heard about it and never experienced it until I went to a yoga class one day. I chose a nice spot in the back corner where I'd have all the room to flail and fail in peace... apparently another guy had a similar thought in mind and he asked if I'd be willing to switch. Now, in the States, that normally wouldn't happen. First come-first serve. I got the spot first therefore it is my spot. Not here, people are straightforward and opinionated. They won't shy away from an argument and they will argue-yelling and all. And then hug it out with their adversary or join them in a friendly football match.

The overall gist of the discussion was to be authentic. Israeli's aren't professional or formal. Their small talk skips right over the weather and enters family life and dreams and life philosophies. They're not shy and their always willing to debate and question things. Israelis may seem aggressive and overly forward in their interactions, but overall they are an authentic, creative, and kind people...much like the rest of the world.

 It seems that every Israeli is confused about my moving here though. For them, unless you're Israeli or Jewish (and even then a non-Israeli Jew confounds the natives), they don't understand why you'd be here when you could be home (which is much more interesting than here). Despite this confusion, every encounter I've had has always been positive. They've been excited to share their culture and their world with me.

I hired a mover to help me move into my new apartment, I rode in the truck with him and the whole time we talked about the conflicts around the world. He also related to me the history of the street I live on and how the architecture has changed in the last twenty years.

I also had a taxi ride once where the driver wants to change the stigmas around mental illness in Israel (and ultimately the world). I'm having coffee with him on Monday to discuss the next steps towards achieving his dream. It was a stroke of luck that I got into his cab.

All in all, I have been utterly authentic to myself and to the people I encounter and it has, thus far, had a positive effect. It feels like I'm meant to be here. I felt this feeling when I first thought about moving here and it hasn't left me since I've arrived. I have been welcomed and encouraged. I've met some incredible people and have had many enlightening conversations. Israel is an amazing place and I am so grateful for every day that I spend here.

Momento mori
xx

1 comment:

  1. sounds like you are experiencing a somewhat protected environment and not the wider circle of life good on you for having the courage to experience a new and different life

    ReplyDelete

Alpine Calamity

Preface: I found this in an email. I wrote this for an English course in high school. I don't remember the prompt. It is the story of ...