Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Une Semaine

I have finished packing. Although, I wasn't able to pack everything I wanted. I packed everything else! My luggage is teetering on the line of being over weight.

What am I going to wear on the plane?! That is my current dilemma. I guess I'll find out next week.

Ever since I was accepted to SYA, I've been developing expectations. I really have no idea what this year will contain. The only thing I am certain of is that it'll be an experience of a lifetime.

My host mother is allergic to gluten, isn't gluten in bread? Isn't bread a big deal in France? According to Postcards from France by Megan McNeil, the French love eating. And they love their dogs and they love smoking. That book was written in the 60's though, I think. The culture might have changed. I suspect it has... or has not. I shall find out!
SYA emailed all the France students. The email had a sentence:

What will your first 10 sentences be to your new family?

And it has been on my brain ever since I read it. What will my first conversation be with my family? Naturally, it'll start with a simple
Ça va? in which I will automatically reply with Ça va bien and maybe add a "comment allez-vous?" if I'm feeling ambitious. They will probably introduce themselves je m'appelle..... and I will answer with the same.
That's as far as I've thought. I don't know what to say after. Maybe I'll just say "je suis fatigue
é" and rid myself of having to carry on further with the conversation. But speaking French is inevitable, all my classes will be in French and no doubt half the orientation will be in French. So, I might as well get the initial conversation over with and turn my French brain on from the start. But what to say? As well, I guess I'll find out soon enough.

One week from today I'll be getting to know my new peers and speaking in terrible broken French. I just have to remember that this time next year, I'll be speaking, hopefully, almost flawless French and have 60 new friends with whom I will always stay in contact.

Just one more week 'til the adventure begins.

xx

1 comment:

  1. According to Harrison Shaffren, the two staples of the Frenchman's diet are bread and cigarettes.

    ReplyDelete

Alpine Calamity

Preface: I found this in an email. I wrote this for an English course in high school. I don't remember the prompt. It is the story of ...