Sunday, September 18, 2011

Jump In.


Yesterday, I stayed indoors all day with my host family. It was very exciting. My host dad left in the morning before I woke up to go pick up Sushi, our new puppy! (She's not exactly a puppy, I think she's 3 or 5 years old... I can't remember). Either way, elle est très belle! She was very calm when she arrived to her new home, but she was very timid. However, in a few hours she started warming up to Valerie and me and would stop following Etienne around to much. She's so precious.
Also, Yoann, my host brother, came in the other night. He seems really cool, and he speaks English. So, when I'm attempting to explain to my host family that 'college's are starting to realise that they cannot see a students full potential through SAT scores', Yoann can translate because that conversation is way too advanced for me at the moment, and I have no idea why I even tried to explain that.
I don't know if I posted this yet or not, but the French eat A LOT. Every single night for dinner we have at least 3-4 courses. And yesterday for lunch we had 3 courses. It's ridiculous. However, my appetite has grown, so my stomach can handle such large amounts of food now. My first night, I was full by the second course. It's strange though, because normally when I eat so much for just one meal I'm full for the rest of the day and I don't want to eat again... but for some reason, by the next meal, I'm famished.
Apparently, my French has improved tremendously. My host parents think that at this rate, I could be almost fluent by December. It really pays to try. My first night here, my vocabulary consisted of "Oui, non et qoui?". Two days later, I'm telling my host family my traumatic story about how I broke my collar bone in Germany a few years back. It's true when someone says you just have to jump into the deep end, because when it comes to learning another language, you can't just ease yourself into the water. It's either dive in or don't bother. If I hadn't started speaking, even if I sounded terrible and my family couldn't understand me, I wouldn't be able to say anything to them now. My sentences are still broken, but my family gets the idea.
It's such an amazing adventure here, I can't imagine going back. I'm going into town to hang out with a couple friends today. We are just going to get to explore the town more and shop!

xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Alpine Calamity

Preface: I found this in an email. I wrote this for an English course in high school. I don't remember the prompt. It is the story of ...